Portugal, with its stunning landscapes, rich culture, and pleasant climate, has become an attractive destination for digital nomads. The Portugal Digital Nomad Visa, introduced in 2021, allows remote workers to live and work in this picturesque country. Here, we’ll outline the key aspects of the Portugal Digital Nomad Visa, including the requirements and income thresholds for 2023.
What is the Portugal Digital Nomad Visa?
The Portugal Digital Nomad Visa, officially known as the “Residence Visa for Remote Workers,” is a special visa designed for remote professionals who want to live and work in Portugal. This visa permits eligible individuals to enjoy the country’s quality of life while continuing their remote work.
Requirements for the Portugal Digital Nomad Visa
To qualify for the Portugal Digital Nomad Visa, you’ll typically need to meet certain requirements. As of my last update in 2022, the following requirements were in place. Please verify with the Portuguese authorities for any updates:
1. Profession and Employment
- You must be engaged in remote work or self-employment for a company located outside Portugal.
- You should have a stable income source to support yourself during your stay.
2. Income Requirement
- You are required to demonstrate a minimum monthly income that covers your living expenses in Portugal.
- The specific income threshold may vary, so it’s crucial to check the latest income requirement for 2023.
3. Health Insurance
- You need to have valid health insurance coverage for your stay in Portugal.
4. Criminal Record
- You should not have a criminal record.
5. Application Process
- The application process involves submitting required documents, which may include proof of employment, income, accommodation, health insurance, and a clean criminal record.
- You will need to fill out the application form and pay the associated fees.
6. Duration of Stay
- The initial visa is typically granted for a period of one year.
- After the initial year, you can renew the visa for up to two years.
7. Residence in Portugal
- While you can work remotely from Portugal, you are not allowed to seek employment within the country. The visa is intended for remote work or self-employment.
Income Requirements for 2023
As of my last update, the income requirements for the Portugal Digital Nomad Visa were approximately €7,620 per year (12 times the Portuguese minimum wage) or €635 per month. However, it’s essential to confirm these figures for the year 2023 as they may be subject to change.
Enjoying Life as a Digital Nomad in Portugal
Portugal offers a wonderful backdrop for remote work with its vibrant cities, beautiful coastlines, and rich cultural heritage. Digital nomads are drawn to its affordable cost of living, welcoming locals, and a variety of co-working spaces.
While working remotely in Portugal, you can explore historic cities like Lisbon and Porto, relax on picturesque beaches, and savor delicious Portuguese cuisine. The Portugal Digital Nomad Visa provides the flexibility to enjoy the best of both worlds – work and leisure.
Please note that immigration policies and visa requirements can change, so it’s crucial to check the official website of the Portuguese Immigration and Borders Service (Serviço de Estrangeiros e Fronteiras – SEF) or the Portuguese consulate in your home country for the most current information regarding the Portugal Digital Nomad Visa and its requirements for 2023.